Friday, August 22, 2008

Good Reads

So, I've got a wall of Microsoft Office books dating back to Excel 5.0. (My MS-DOS manuals like Wordstar, Paradox and Lotus Symphony made it to the garage). I have several editions of VBA / Access books dating back to the Four Amigos (Getz, Gilbert, Gunderloy, Litwin). I've the Eric Wells Excel VBA classics. And the Woody Leonhard Word tomes as well. I resisted buying a lot of paper for Office 2002, 2003. But with Office 2007, I've got to give in. There's so much gifting of new features and architecture in this new version, I broke down and spent some money.

Word 2007 Inside Out (Microsoft Press) is a change from the plodding, grey suited bricks. It gives more detail than I could find in Help on Quick Styles and Style / Theme management.

VBA and Macros for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 by Bill Jelen and Tracy Systrad seems very readable and full of insights. I have not come across the Excel 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference by Green, Bovey, Bulleen, Alexander - but the older edition was a keeper.

The ranks of the veteran Microsoft Access authors have been decimated. Gunderloy has gone Rails, the others may have ascended to dot Net. This new book - Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference is by names I am not familiar with - Hennig, Cooper, Griffith & Stein. The selection of topics looks good.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

dsdalg said...

What? No Pivot Table books? Shocking! ;-)

AnandaSim said...

Hi Debra,

Nice to have you visit. No, no Pivot Table books yet, that'll be second priority until some client wants assistance. I am quite enthused about Pivot Tables and even went as far as SQL Server Analysis Services - but it's hard to "sell" as a consultant service. My client was in Sydney, the point person wanted "all easy" even though the plumbing needed work, architecting the OLAP cubes and dimensions, delegating care and feeding of the Server to a reluctant IT and I was not in the same city. I was very impressed with the responsiveness of Excel 2007 in contrast to 2003 - the dual core support, the enhanced memory handling and the huge number of rows - there were 100,000 or more rows and the pivot operation was quick.